Thursday, September 15, 2011

Save your GPAs!

After reading about how low grades in college can affect a graduates job search, I realized the unfair disadvantages of my generation in a competitive job market. Both of my parents found their jobs straight out of high school, with nothing to show besides a diploma and their own personalities. They did not have to spend the first decade of their adult lives in debt up, just to receive an average job to start their family. Now a days not only do college students have to pay and outrageous amount of money to get jobs, they also need to be well above the majority of their classmates. If the smartest kids from my high school are lucky just to get in to college, it should come as a shock that many of them will have to be the smartest of the successful just to land a job.
If what is stated in this article is true, then I feel there are not enough organizations within many collegiate institutions to help those with average gpa's to stand out. I feel that just one or two classes that really may not be a persons strong suit, could potentially have devastating effects on their futures. Lastly, I do not think that employers realize the stress and pressure trying to succeed at the top of a college class, especially within a college of business. I feel that we are still at a point where many top executives did not even attend a college setting similar to what students experience today.

For better or for worse, this article was a wake up call for me to do my personal best to succeed and be involved throughout the rest of my college career!

3 comments:

  1. Jenn, I completely agree with this entire post! It seems that the job market has become much less attainable throughout the years for the smaller guys. My mother didn't attend any form of higher education, yet she was able to become an in-home nurse. We are attending a university for a Bachelor's degree that could, potentially, be worthless to us. It is all about who you know and how big your network is. Even someone who graduates at the top of our class in college could go without a job for a while because they don't have the right connections. College is hard enough, with all the current pressures combined with the pressure of the future, and nothing is even guaranteed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I disagree with your statement blaming colleges for not having "enough organizations within many collegiate institutions to help those with average gpa's to stand out." I do not personally think it's the colleges problem to deal with. Its just unfortunate that now more than ever the trend is for most people to go to college and get their bachelor's degree. This means that employers are receiving more and more applicants for just a few job openings. This means that employers need find a way to filter out most of these applications and using G.P.A. as a factor in doing so is just the best way to do so.

    I'm not saying this is fair, but it seems like the most practical way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with you! I was kind of offended almost when I first read this article. It is crazy to think how much the world has changed since our parents were our age. I like how you said that they were able to get jobs with simply a high school diploma and a personality for the job. I do understand that the work place is much more competitive these days, but I do not think it is fair for a company to solely judge a person on their G.P.A.. I think each individual has special characteristics and traits to offer and the companies should definitely interview to get a full view of the potential worker, rather than simply looking at their grades. I couldn't imagine not getting my dream job because I struggled in two classes throughout my college career.
    Looks like we better start getting those grades up! :)

    ReplyDelete