Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Spaghetti and Gumdrops

I wanted to blog a little bit about how my team (team #1) completed the in class activity on Tuesday, and why I feel that this was a valuable assignment.

First of all, I don't know how many other teams choose who they were going to work with this semester, but my team knew that we would be working together from the start. When we first received the assignment and our materials we spent about 10 minutes planning. I think that this helped us out a lot in the end. We were able to test the materials (spaghetti and gumdrops) and even draw a sketch of what our base would look like. Together, we collaborated on how to build the tallest spaghetti tower, while keeping a strong base that was able to hold all of the books. Another factor that helped us complete our design in the remaining time was the fact they we sort of knew each other and the roles that we played in the group. We were able to split up the construction of our tower and even had time to build a spaghetti man and make our base stronger at the end of the time period. I was really happy with the way that our spaghetti tower turned out!

I also feel like this activity helped us to get a feel for how well we will work together for our bigger group project. Now we know what our personalities are and how we can each contribute to the group. I am excited to take what I learned during Tuesdays class and apply it to our bigger assignment!

3 comments:

  1. There is more to success than having the tallest, prettiest, strongest spaghetti tower, although you did that as well! I think it's great that your group worked together so well.. or should I say team? You guys were able to both plan and execute your structure with time to square. It seemed like your team had a lot of fun whilst working towards your goal. I'm not sure if that is because you picked your group and all already felt comfortable with your position in it, but I definitely think that your chemistry will be really helpful when it comes time to do other projects together. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah this activity was sort of an ice breaker if you weren't that familiar with your groups. It gave a quick preview at how well you were gonna work together and getting a feel of the work ethic and assertiveness of the group members. I know my group spent a lot more time in the planning process cause we were hesitant to be firm with our ideas due to the fact we had just met and did not want to offend anyone. Even with that, this activity really helped to get that awkwardness out early and that when our group meets again I think it'll be a lot easier to work together.

    That Dr. Goates is a smart man...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree it was an interesting and awesome way to break the ice with your group mates. I personally did not know many people in my group and my group worked more like a working group. We decided a simple structure was best and triangles are good. Only a couple people physically built the structure while myself and two of the other members of the group were the ideas and we occasionally help built the structure.

    ReplyDelete