Sunday, October 16, 2011

Make Your Pie and Eat It Too

I don't know about you but if I spent time baking a delicious, lets go with pumpkin (tis the season), I would not want to eat it all by myself. That would be very sad indeed. Id much rather share my pie with others so they can taste how well I did! Okay, so maybe pies were not the best example, I am sure that some things most of us would rather not sure.. money, personal possessions.

When it comes to distributive and integrative negotiations, I believe that the later is clearly the better option. Throughout our readings the point was made that negotiations are about more than just a gain. A lot of times a bond is formed in negotiating, one that can hold more value than a single distributive negotiation that goes in ones favor. With integrative negotiation, there is more value exchanged between the two parties, including kind of partnership. Once again, I personally would rather do my negotiating with someone whom I know well. I would continue negotiating with this person as long as I knew that we were both benefiting from a mutual and respectable relationship. Back to my delicious pumpkin pie again, I would rather split it up between myself and someone for whom I have a mutual bond with. And in doing so, I would expect that when they bake their own pies in the future, I would receive the same considerations.

2 comments:

  1. I thought it was so interesting how you brought these topics into a real example. I would agree with you that a strong bond can be upheld between two parties when they can rely on each other. Integrative negotiation allows a sense of comfort and yet strength within each person knowing that they will benefit from the negotiation. Distributive negotiation is so superficial, there is no chance that you will walking away feeling bad or good, it all depends on how it goes which in return is a sense of fear and lack of trust.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you used a fun example about sharing pie to show how negotiations can benefit multiple parties, and is often about building a lasting relationship. I agree that negotiating should be about more than just gain, but building a lasting, trusting relationship.

    ReplyDelete