Thursday, October 27, 2011

Top 10 Tech Company Office Spaces

One thing that I was personally really interested in learning more about from our discussion on corporate culture was office spaces and how their designs effect a companies culture. I think we can all agree that technology is probably one of the biggest job markets in today's economy. The following articles provides a look in to the office spaces of the top 10 tech companies today.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/adel-zakout/new-wave-corporate-cultur_b_991216.html

It is very interesting to know that these companies have designed new work spaces to help shape their own corporate cultures. For example, as a part of Microsoft's new strategy to open doors of office spaces, new areas such as a "collaborative space" are being introduced in a number of Microsoft locations. The aim is to get workers who need to work together out of their offices and talking. I feel like office spaces like this will attract a lot of younger and new employees into a job setting where their ideas will be heard. I know that I would rather be working in this kind of an environment, as opposed to the dreaded office cubicles.

One additional thought that I had when looking through the different office spaces was that our college campus (probably most college campuses) could really learn from these examples. I feel that offering students a more innovative and collaborative workspace would encourage them to seek out additional educational opportunities. I know that I would personally spend a lot more time on campus if the college of business looked more like a Google or Facebook work space.

4 comments:

  1. This interested me too. Especially because I did one of my research summaries on the idea that architectural design actually has a large impact on communication and therefore work efficiency. The design of a workspace not only encourages employees to enjoy their workspace but it also has impact on our channels of communication including visual, auditory, tactile, and olfactory. This means that design actually affects how employees see, smell, hear and touch their work places.
    I agree that if Grove had a more inviting atmosphere I would find myself there a lot more too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the fact that office spaces should be made to help people get together and feel more comfortable at work. Looking through the article I saw a number of offices that I would like to work at. I agree that Shippensburg should take a lesson from these types of places and change their spaces. If there were more open and friendly places to meet and interact with groups and friends a lot more kids would get out of their dorms and apartments and spend time on campus interacting with each other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The spaces look cool and everything but I personally would get distracted by the neat and unique architecture. Some of these building are too much and I would lose myself and my work productivity would fall. But I don't want to work in a building that looks like a gloomy and dark jail cell.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the idea of new work spaces! In such a social networking environment, it is common to know what everyone is doing all the time. Seeing as we enjoy and even benefit from this, why shouldn't there be more collaborative work spaces? Although cubicles may have been more logical before, I feel as though sometimes a more open area where people who need to work together can do so without cramming into a tiny cube or a board room would be better. This reminds me of the speaker we saw from American Express for our Marketing class. Randomly added into his presentation was a picture of his work space. He didn't seem very excited about it or proud about it, which was even further reflected by his statement, "It's not even a window cube." He is somebody who would probably enjoy a more innovative area.. and maybe a window!

    ReplyDelete